Bly Ranger Station Restoration
By Michelle Durant
Oregon’s State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), part of the Oregon Heritage, awarded the Fremont-Winema National Forest the full $20,000 Preserving Oregon Grant in 2011 to assist in the rehabilitation of the old Bly Ranger Station office building, located on Highway 140 in Bly, Oregon. This preservation grant was the first ever heritage grant between the State of Oregon and the U.S. Forest Service, in Region 6 (Oregon and Washington).
The Bly Ranger Station is a great example of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workmanship. The CCC, under the supervision of the Forest Service, constructed the Bly Ranger Station compound between 1936 and 1942. The old office building was built in 1936. The compound was later placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 and is considered to have national significance.
With the grant money and a community partner, the Bly Community Action Team, the Forest was able to restore the interior of the main floor of the structure to near its original design while simultaneously
bringing the building up to current building standards and making it ADA accessible.
The Station has stood as a constant within the community. The old office is a beautiful building and an object of pride. It has and will continue to play a significant role in the historical development of the local community because of support provided by the SHPO and the Preserving Oregon Grant.
Michelle Durant is an Archaeologist with the Fremont-Winema National Forest.